How Consignment Works
When you consign your new or gently worn items with a consignment store, you place them in the store's care for a certain period of time--at Jessica for 60 days.
The store prices your items and displays them in the showroom. You receive a percentage of the sale of your items, payable on demand. Jessica consignment pays 40% of the selling price for items that sell under $100, and 50% for items sold over $100.
The short video clip below demonstrates how this works, as described in the following 10-step list.
How to Consign with Jessica
- Select the items you wish to consign (5-30 items can be consigned at each appointment).
- We accept your items in season
(two seasons in Santa Barbara: Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer).
- All clothing must be clean, ironed and on hangers (we give your hangers right back).
- Items must be good labels, in excellent condition, current (purchased within a 2 year period), and sized between 00 and 12.
- Call for an appointment: (805) 687-2755.
- We evaluate and price the items we hope to sell for you.
- We sign a contract with an itemized list of your accepted pieces. You can download a copy of the Jessica contract (see image at right).
- Jessica displays your merchandise in the shop for up to two months until it sells.
- When an item sells, you can pick up your percentage in cash or check, or use it as shop credit anytime (up to six months after the consignment period expires).
- If you choose to donate unsold items to charity, we can do so for you. We support the Assistance League of Santa Barbara, and provide you with a donation receipt upon request.
How We Protect Your Rights
- We give you all the consignment terms by written contract each time you consign with us
- We explain your options for picking up or donating at the end of the consignment period
- We tell you up front what the consignment percentage will be (40% of the selling price for items that sell for under $100, and 50% for items sold over $100)
- We give you an itemized receipt for the items we've accepted
- Your payout check lists each sold item and sold price
- See the NARTS website (click on Shopping Guide in the menu bar) for a "Consumer FAQ" and more information about consignment.
The National Association of Resale and Thrift Stores is the professional association of resellers, and we are a long-time member.
Some of the higher end labels we take:
M Blahnik, Choo, Prada, Dolce Gabbana, LV, Chanel, Chloe, Bottega Veneta H.Beguelin, Eskandar, Missoni, Bottega, Etro, TomFord, Nanette Lepore, DVF, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, Akris, Stella McCartney, JBrand, GoldSign, Marni, Tibi, Gucci, and many more.